Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Reading with Understanding

A few days ago I read an email from a friend who is a missionary. In it she mentioned that she avoids using the term "missionary" to describe herself because people think of "Moravians" when they hear the term. I was confused since Moravian missionaries have not been around for a few hundred years! After sending an email to her asking why she was concerned, my friend corrected me and pointed out that she had actually written "Mormon," not "Moravian."

While your first thought might be that I flunked my quiz in "reading comprehension 101" (and you would have a good point!), the reality is this illustrates her concern about the baggage that comes with the term "missionary." My love for missions and knowledge of missions history led me to fill in the blank with a word I was familiar with. I see "missions" and "missionaries" as good things, so read into it what I expected to see. Yet for many others, the term evokes images that are negative and to be avoided.

Despite my momentary lapse in reading skill, I do agree with her point. That is why this blog is entitled, "Kingdom Partners." The term missionary is not even found in the Bible. While a useful term in some contexts, it is not always the best one to use. So what is a Kingdom Partner? It is someone who cares for others and invites them to know the Creator of the universe. We don't care to make converts. We care because Jesus cares. We don't share to put anyone down or to deprive them of their dignity. We share the Gospel because it is living water to those who are thirsty. It is bread to those who are hungry. It is life to those who are dead.

When Jesus told us to go and make disciples of every people group he was asking us to find individuals and invite them to follow him and be like him, the most loving and holy and just and righteous person who has ever or ever will live. That is a job description of which we can be proud.

No comments: