When you hear about someone who is "poor," what comes to your mind? What images do you see? What judgments do you make? What emotions do you feel?
Now take time to read these four verses and compare what they say to the answers you just gave:
There will never cease to be some poor people in the land; therefore, I am commanding you to make sure you open your hand to your fellow Israelites who are needy and poor in your land.
(Deuteronomy 15:11 NET Bible)
The one who oppresses the poor insults his Creator,
but whoever shows favor to the needy honors him.
(Proverbs 14:31 NET Bible)
The one who gives to the poor will not lack,
but whoever shuts his eyes to them will receive many curses.
(Proverbs 28:27 NET Bible)
Open your mouth, judge in righteousness,
and plead the cause of the poor and needy.
(Proverbs 31:9 NET Bible)
The New English Translation (NET Bible) has 164 verses that contain the word "poor." Some of those verses contain warnings that imprudent choices can lead to poverty. Unfortunately, those are the verses some choose to emphasize, forgetting the many commands to care for those who are poor. In fact, I was one of those who forgot these commands. I was never purposefully demeaning of those less fortunate than myself, but I failed to recognize my responsibility to get actively involved in helping those in need.
I don't believe those of us who have been blessed should live in guilt over our prosperity. Instead, I think we should do what God intended -- use our blessing to bless others. In the coming months, we will explore some ways we can do this at New Covenant in a global context.
Our goal is not to end poverty. It is simply to be obedient to what God commanded us to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment