Friday, February 01, 2008

The Church in Kenya

Christianity Today Magazine has a thought provoking story called "Post-Mayhem Woes." It points out that 80 percent of the people in Kenya consider themselves Christian. Even more shocking, many churches failed to speak out against the violence when it first started.

Should we be surprised? Perhaps not. While it may seem unthinkable to us here in America, I am not so sure we are that far removed. Jesus' command is to make disciples. While many called themselves Christians, I am not so confident they were all his disciples. That is equally true here.

I am not judging anyone, nor claiming I am superior. My point is that "the proof is in the pudding." A true disciple will be so clearly different he or she will stand out as a follower of Christ. A disciple might make mistakes in the heat of the moment, but the true disciples will step forward in the weeks and months ahead to demonstrate the love of Christ and what it means to bear the cross of Christ. I pray that I will be such a disciple.

No comments: